INTRICATE PARTS AT PRECISE TOLERANCES.
VPE has machined the following alloys:
- Stainless Steel
- Plastics and Polymers
- Exotic Alloys
- Nickel Based Alloys including Inconel and Haynes
- Refractory Metals
A small selection of customers the VPE machine shop has worked with:
- Lockheed Martin
- Northrop Grumman
- Applied Materials
Quality Assurance with CMM Inspection
VPE’s large-scale Coordinate-Measuring Machines (CMMs) verify the machined parts meet their design specifications. Customers require tight tolerances and CMM inspection gives the measurement needed to pass or fail the part.
- Large-scale CMMs to verify conformance of precise parts.
- Coord3 Universal
- Travel Size: 118 in. x 59 in. x 58 in.
- Coord3 Ares NT
- Travel Size: 47 in. x 26 in. x 26 in.
In-House Manufacturing: From Start to Finish
Extensive Machine Shop Capabilities allow the VPE Manufacturing Process to be done nearly entirely In-House. Shown in the example below, nearly all the manufacturing steps can be achieved at VPE without the need to outsource:
- Design – VPE’s engineers work closely with the customer through multiple revisions until the optimal design is achieved.
- Component Machining – the component parts such as a top, middle, and bottom plate are precision machined.
- CMM Inspection – if necessary the machined component parts are thoroughly CMM inspected for conformance.
- Cleaning & Assembly – the machined components are ultrasonically cleaned and assembled to prepare for Vacuum Brazing or Diffusion Bonding.
- Vacuum Brazing or Diffusion Bonding – the assembly is loaded into a vacuum furnace or diffusion bonder and ran at a specific temperature controlled profile.
- Leak Testing – the brazed or bonded assembly is leak tested to verify a perfect join.
- Heat Treat – the brazed or bonded assembly is heat treated in-house or sent outside if certain specifications are needed.
- Final Machining – the heat treated assembly is machined into its final shape.
- CMM Inspection – if necessary the final machined part is thoroughly CMM inspected for conformance.
- Coating and/or Plating – coating and/or plating is done outside of VPE and the final part is sent to a reliable coating supplier to perform services such as chemical film coating or gold plating.
- Final Assembly – the final components such as heli-coils are installed into the final part.
- Final Testing – the final part is bubble and/or leak tested to verify it is leak proof.
- Final Inspection – the final part is inspected for the last time and certified.