Outperforms standard small heat exchangers.
Inside a Diffusion Bonded Microchannel Heat Exchanger
- The thermal engineering team calculates the design needed to meet the requirements of the heat exchanger.
- An outside manufacturer etches plates or shims with the flow design.
- VPE assembles the shims in a counter-flow configuration.
- The stacked plates are diffusion bonded to create a solid heat exchanger core without gaskets. Perfected since 1976, VPE’s proven diffusion bonding process ensures parent material strength throughout the core of the heat exchanger.
- The diffusion bonded core is machined to size at VPE’s machine shop.
- The welding team joins the required manifolds, flanges, as well as components to the core of the heat exchanger.
- VPE carefully cleans and tests the heat exchanger to verify it is leak-proof.
- VPE’s diffusion bonded microchannel heat exchangers are “U” or “UM” stamped and meet the requirements of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
Advantages Over Standard Small Heat Exchangers
Miniature diffusion bonded microchannel heat exchangers will significantly outperform standard small heat exchangers such as shell & tube, brazed plate, as well as welded plate heat exchangers. Advantages e.g.:
- Significantly more surface area.
- Higher heat transfer coefficient.
- Higher operating pressure capability.
- Higher temperature capability – only limited by the material.
- There is a higher geometry factor – pure counterflow.
- Smaller footprint as well as weight.
- Diffusion bonded as opposed to brazed. As a result, there is high leak integrity with no braze alloy being necessary.
- Lower fluid inventory.
- Exceptional mechanical performance in terms of handling transients, as well as thermal stress (suitable for larger temperature differences).
- Resistant to freezing
- Readily customizable for multi-stream, ultra-high pressure, low MW gases, sCO2, etc.
- Corrosion-resistant alloys are used.
- Competitive pricing.
General Uses for VPE’s Compact/Miniature Heat Exchangers
General uses for commercial (off-the-shelf) small heat exchangers e.g.:
- Replacement for Shell & Tube Heat Exchangers
- Replacement for Brazed Plate as well as Welded Plate Heat Exchangers
- Robust service e.g.: high temperature as wells as high pressure
- Precise temperature control
- Processing equipment
- Cooling as well as heating e.g.: fluids and gases
- Organic solvent processing
- Condensing as well as evaporating
- Cryogenic cooling / refrigeration
- Botanical Extraction Applications